My path to becoming a therapist started early, with a keen interest in Psychology and in finding meaningful ways to experience life and relationships. I am passionate about helping my clients to find personal and purposeful ways to reach their lives’ goals. To complete my certification to practice, I earned a Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Psychology (UNBC), and a Master’s Degree in Counselling Psychology (Uvic). I am registered as a Clinical Counsellor (RCC) through the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors (BCACC) and have been involved in the field since 2000. I have continued to actively pursue professional development opportunities, certifications and specializations, such as the well-researched intervention known as CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy).
I work with both children and adults, dealing with a wide range of emotional difficulties including depression, anxiety, personal and work-related stress, trauma, parenting and separation, as well as relationship challenges. I also have a passion for helping clients who have experienced abuse, neglect and other significant psychological trauma, offering EMDR treatment (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing), which is a widely researched and effective treatment for post-traumatic stress, and other types of distress/ anxiety, such as specific phobias. My professional experience also includes a commitment to the area of mental health issues around reproduction, including postpartum (or post adoption) depression and anxiety, infertility, and pregnancy loss or termination. In addition to individual therapy, I enjoy providing relationship, couples counselling and family work. I offer clients the option to extend an invitation to anyone who they wish to bring as a support or companion in counselling.
I am also a member of the Kamloops Collaborative Family Law Association. I offer services as a Divorce Coach and Child Specialist, empowering clients to transcend stagnant conflict, allowing families to adjust to separation and divorce as smoothly and cooperatively as possible. In addition to my formal training as a Clinical Counsellor, I have completed over half of the required training towards becoming Mediator and Parenting Coordinator, focusing on alternative methods of dispute resolution. Furthermore, I am a registered member of the Hear the Child Society and offer Hear the Child interviews.
On a personal note, I am honest and genuine. When I am not working, I enjoy spending time with my children and family, and being active, whether I am cheering for my kids on the sidelines or enjoying my own physical or outdoor activities. I love music and gladly take any opportunity to sing, dance, knit or attempt to play the guitar.
Download Viviane’s Curriculum Vitae
- Roots: The capital of Brazil
- Training: Psychology, counselling and mediation (in progress)
- Approach to Therapy: Do what works for the client.
- Recommended book(s): A Man’s Search for Meaning by V. Frankyl
- Areas of interest: Trauma and attachment; conflict resolution; relational intimacy and assertive communication.
- Something she loves: My hammock, family, friends, music, travelling, knitting and almost every kind of food.
- Ways to care for self: Music, physical activity, challenging myself to learn new things, traveling and pedicures.
- Inspired by: Resiliency, one’s will to thrive and the children in her life.
- Favourite dish: Brazilian black beans and chocolate.
- Favourite quote: “What you shine the light on gets bigger”